Total Pageviews

Monday, October 18, 2010

My Pastel Class

On Tuesdays I give a 2 hour pastel painting class at the Hobby Lobby at Bandera/Huebner.  I'm going into my 10th year of teaching and many have taken the class for a month and some up to 5+ years.  All have benefited from the instruction.

What is pastel?  Pastel is not chalk but is dry pure pigment, the same used in oil, watercolor, acrylics and so on.  The only difference is the binder that holds the pigment together.  Pastel is a dry medium although you can combine pastel with the other mediums using them as an underpainting.  Pastel will not crack, become brittle with age, or yellow.  Sixteenth century pastel paintings are still as bright as the day they were painted.  I saw a wonderful example of a pastel painting at our Witte Museum that's nearly a hundred years old!

The pastel class is ongoing, which means students can join at any time as I work at their level.  The class session is four weeks and if you miss a class , you may make it up within two months.  I cover composition, values, color harmony, techniques, landscapes, portraits, painting on different supports, and more.  The class involves completing a painting, not just practice sessions.   Tomorrow I will show how to do a turpenoid underpainting.

All students that have taken the class during the ongoing year,  have the opportunity to exhibit their artwork at an annual pastel art show which I sponsor.  We have a reception and the students invite family, friends, and all to see their beautiful pastel art.  Our 9th Annual Pastel Art Show was held this past August at the Coppini Academy of Fine Arts.




Interested?  I'm ready to answer  your questions.  Don't put off art anymore!  Stay inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment